We’ve been with you from the start.

A hospital was first established on the Tainui Street site in 1924 by Nettie Neilson who used the building as a maternity hospital. Frances Young, a nursing sister, changed the name from ‘Tirohia’ to ‘Braemar’ in 1926 and converted it to a medical and surgical hospital.

In 1931 Young purchased an adjoining section and built a maternity home known as ‘Waione’ on that piece of land. As demand for private maternity homes declined, ‘Waione’ was converted to a nurses’ home serving Braemar Hospital.

Young ran Braemar until April 1935 when she retired after leasing the hospital to Sisters Smith and Barrett. Te Kirihaehae Tu Puea Hērangi (Princess Te Puea) CBE presented a patu to Sister Frances Young in the late 1940s in appreciation of the care she received at Braemar Hospital. The patu remains on display in the hospital foyer today.

hospital medications

In 1946 Young had decided to sell Braemar to a boarding-house keeper, this meant the potential loss of a private surgical facility for doctors excluded from operating at Waikato Hospital. At that stage Waikato Hospital was ‘closed’ to general practitioners who wished to operate on their patients. Their concern led to a decision by three doctors to lease the building from Young and form the ‘Braemar Hospital Company’ in 1946. Those three doctors were Edward Cecil Brewis, Duncan Mcdiarmid and William Fea.

By 1954 the doctors were discussing the possibility of buying the property from Sister Young, who had signalled her intention to sell when the lease expired.

By 1963 Braemar had begun again, and a price of 25,000 pounds was eventually agreed.

In 1966 the water tower was demolished and the land was subsequently purchased by Braemar from the council in 1969. The water tower had dominated the Hamilton skyline for 55 years.

In 1970 Braemar Hospital Ltd resolved to transfer to the Braemar Hospital Charitable Trust all of the assets of the company on the condition that the hospital operate as a charitable trust.

Under the guidance of the Braemar Hospital Charitable Trust the hospital continued to grow adding new theatres, wards and services.

In 2001 the trust became known as the Braemar Charitable Trust.

To cope with an ever-increasing demand for its services a new day hospital was opened in Knox Street in August 2001.

In August 2005 an agreement was reached with The Salvation Army to purchase ‘The Nest’ site on the corner of Ohaupo Road and Kahikatea Drive.

The land and buildings at Tainui Street were sold to the Cancer Society in 2007 and leased back from the society until the new hospital at Ohaupo Road was ready for occupation.

The new hospital opened to patients on 14 April 2009 and was officially opened on 8 August 2009 by Mrs Mary Clarkson.

The Braemar Day Hospital on Knox Street merged with the main hospital on Ohaupo Road and the new extension was officially opened by David and John Young (sons of Braemar founder) on 28 September 2012.

In 2019 a purpose built theatre for cardiac and spinal surgery was added along with an education room and additional storage. This extension was officially opened by Bob Armstrong (MNZM, JP) and Barry Prior (MNZM, JP) on 3 May 2019. Both are past trustees of the Braemar Charitable Trust.

Braemar Hospital is one of the largest private hospitals in New Zealand offering a comprehensive range of Specialist services.

Braemar Hospital Ltd is 100% owned by the Braemar Charitable Trust.